/ Junior Software Engineer
We’re a friendly team attempting to solve two major problems facing businesses globally and locally:
- Bridge the global tech talent gap, one African developer at a time
- Enable the growth of African companies through technology
To achieve this, we are identifying and training talented Kenyan developers like you on technical and soft skills to be ready to deliver with international standards for companies locally and globally. You will grow with us, either be working on local solutions to empower African businesses, or as a full integrated team member of a global tech team.
As a Junior Software Engineer, you will work with other Software Engineers and Product Managers throughout the software development life cycle. Your goal will be to build efficient programs and systems that serve user needs. Collaboration, humility, being a good team player, having a keen eye for detail, and problem-solving skills are some of the personal characteristics that we look and expect from you as a developer. You will accrue a variety of benefits (see the benefits section) as a member of team Jenga including mastering the professional and technical skills you need to succeed as a software engineer, working on a variety of projects for companies across the globe.
- Plan and deliver software that meets and exceeds the expectations of your team, managers, and client partners
- Work in collaboration with other developers, designers and product managers to build functional, user-friendly and beautiful products for our clients and partners
- Produce readable, testable, and maintainable code to spec
- Integrate software components and third-party programs
- Verify and deploy programs and systems
- Troubleshoot, debug and upgrade existing software
- Recommend and execute improvements
- Create technical documentation for reference and reporting
- Interfacing with partners to understand their business, goals, and visions for products supported by our team
- Commit to continued technical and professional growth
- Share your knowledge and positive approach to your fellow Jenga developers
Location: Our offices are at Nairobi Garage, Pinetree Plaza, Nairobi, Kenya (maps)
Working Hours: Full-time, Monday-Friday, 8:00-18:00
- Have thorough knowledge of core programming and software development
- Have exposure to CI/CD pipelines and tools
- Have exposure to agile methodologies
- Have experience with frontend frameworks
- Have experience writing test cases
- Have an in-depth understanding of the entire web development process (design, development and deployment)
- Have excellent analytical skills
- May have a degree in Computer Science, IT or a related field from an accredited university (it’s a plus)
- Enjoy collaborating and problem-solving.
- Enjoy learning new languages, frameworks, and technologies
- Are a strong team player you know how to get others to work well together
- Are vibrant in personality and have strong communication skills (English; verbal and written)
- Are opinionated but consider and give way to other perspectives - you can defend a position, but give it up easily when consensus is against you even if you're right.
- Are humble, no room for brilliant jerks
- Are warm, with the ability to build rapport and communicate with individuals from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Are able to perform well in a fast-paced environment
- Are able to work with a high degree of autonomy and limited supervision
- Are customer centric and work well with product owners
- Are interested in automating repetitive tasks
- Are strongly motivated by our mission and want to have a tangible impact on the African businesses and tech communities
- Work in a team with diverse backgrounds and an open-communication culture
- Learn through regular and constructive feedback, mentoring, training opportunities and our in-house knowledge base
- Gain valuable experience as you work on projects across multiple industries and business sizes
- Thrive with a high level of autonomy and responsibility in a small, agile and growing team
- Grow through merit, by demonstrating your skills
- Deliver tangible impact and customer satisfaction, as Jenga is committed to finding the right solution for the right client and delivering it with the highest level of professional standards
- Promote the growth of African businesses, by equipping them with the right tools and support to unleash their potential
- Get the right match for your software development talent within high-performing engineering teams, whether in Africa or internationally
- Be yourself! We embrace difference and know that if you can be yourself at work, you'll be happier, more motivated and creative. We want you to bring your whole self to work, to have your own perspective and know that you belong.
- Competitive salary, that will grow as you grow
- 21 days holiday – and we will make you take it. Burnout is not big or clever.
- Limitless challenge and scope for development. You are joining us at a very exciting time and have the opportunity to take this role in your preferred direction as we grow.
- As much of our time as you need. You professional growth is important to us, and we want to help you to be awesome.
- Sensible problems that will add real value to real people. Work without impact is meaningless.
- More benefits to come as we grow – and as a team member, we’ll ask for your suggestions!
- The recruitment process takes place in 4 steps:
- An online form to fill in
- A online technical test (to be confirmed)
- A face to face on-site interview including a technical test
- A job offer!
- Please note: Completion of the online form is required in order to be considered. Please allow yourself enough time to complete it. Please be aware that you will have to complete it at once, as you will be unable to return to it later.
If this looks like you, please send us your name, email, LinkedIn link, Github link, resume and cover letter at email@example.com